Our Dear Community of Recovery and Wellness,
In light of the COVID-19 pandemic, we are reaching out with an update. Avenues is uncontaminated as of now, we are operating and working hard to provide a safe and nourishing environment for our clients. Amidst this health crisis, we are taking precautionary measures to keep our community and the broader community that extends beyond our walls safe.
We are requiring all members of our community (in-house clients, after-care clients, alumni, and staff) to take the following precautions:
- Do not leave the house unless necessary to do so.
- Practice social distancing when outside the house, avoiding groups of people and connecting virtually to community resources.
- Avoid contact with any individuals testing positive for the coronavirus and indicate to Avenues immediately if exposed.
- Limit/avoid use of public transportation as much as possible.
- Engage in preventative hygiene practices.
The following precautionary measures are in place at our properties:
- Temperatures are taken nightly for all clients.
- Increased disinfectant and cleaning practices are in place.
- Staffing has been restructured to decrease traffic in and out of the house, protect staff through limiting use of public transportation, and reduce the community’s exposure to the virus.
- All in-person tours are temporarily suspended and moved to a virtual platform.
- All case management and staff meetings have been moved to a virtual platform.
**We are in the process of securing oral swab testing for the COVID-19 virus within in the next week or so. These tests will be accessible to our entire community, and results for these tests will be available within 2/3 days of use.**
Against the backdrop of social distancing and halted routines, it is critical that we are providing opportunities to connect and stay engaged in the rhythm of life. Additional social and wellness opportunities are available within the house to increase structure throughout the day and support our clients in managing the isolation and disorientation that comes when home-bound. Our programming includes:
- Morning meditations held at 11 am
- Midday movement at 2 pm
- [insert individualized virtual treatment groups/sessions here]
- Nightly house meetings held at 6 pm
- Family dinner at 7:30 pm
Given we are living in a communal setting and our understanding of the virus is evolving, we are following recommendations from the CDC and taking the approach of increased precaution to keep our community as safe as we can. There are risks within a community living environment, though we are able to mitigate some of those risks if we all work together. Additionally, amidst a time of social distancing, our community can be a powerful buffer to the isolation that many people are vulnerable to right now. Please do your best to care for yourself and others. We are here for support – do not hesitate to reach out.
James and the Avenues NYC Community